COVID-19 Utility Information

Utilities will not be shut off during the outbreak:

  • On March 19, Governor Eric Holcomb issued an executive order, temporarily prohibiting residential eviction proceedings or foreclosure actions during the public health emergency. This does not relieve the individual of obligations to pay rent or mortgage payments.
  • Additionally, Governor Holcomb issued an executive order prohibiting providers of essential utility services such as gas and electric, broadband, telecom, water and wastewater services from discontinuing service to any customer during the public health emergency. 
  • Customers are urged to do their best to continue paying their bills.
  • DUKE customers who need assistance paying their utility should call 800-777-9898.
  • NIPSCO customers who need assistance paying their bill should call 800-464-7726.
  • connects residents to service providers that offer free or low-cost supports, as well as assistance with basic needs including food, housing, and bill assistance.

Mortgage and Rent Assistance

  • The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority have re-opened its Hardest Hit Fund, which provides assistance to families who are at risk of foreclosure. HHF is a mortgage assistance payment program; the program can provide up to $30,000 to eligible Indiana homeowners who are struggling to pay their mortgage. For more information on this program, visit
  • Second, IHCDA in partnership with the Indiana Department of Financial Institutions, Indiana Apartment Association, Indiana Bankers Association, Indiana Mortgage Bankers Association, and the Indiana Credit Union League has developed a new Resource Guide, aimed at helping Hoosiers continue paying their rent and mortgage payment.

Township Assistance

Township Trustees provide emergency assistance to individuals and families in need who qualify based on township assistance standards. This can include payment of rent, mortgage, or utilities, as well as burial or funeral costs.

You can find your township trustee's contact information here.

Please call before visiting the office in person. You may need to bring some or all of the following documents when you apply for assistance: proof of income, receipts for payments made, tax returns, identification, and birth certificates.

Contact the Town

103 E Main St
North Manchester, IN 46962
Get Directions

  • Phone: (260) 982-9800
  • Staff Directory
  • Office Hours:
    8am-5pm Mon-Fri